Monday, January 23, 2006

San Antonio

Cely and I are in San Antonio for the American Library Association Midwinter meeting. The weather was fine when we got here but it quickly turned cold, windy, and rainy. I have been visiting with old friends and trying to learn things. We have seen Steve Ostrem around most. I haven't seen him much since leaving Iowa. It was nice to catch up. His wife Mary has had rotator cuff surgery and is layed up for about 6 weeks. We met up with Sue O'Dell and Jonathan Miller also. I was able to meet up with Barb Allen for a drink. Yesterday we took a little boat trip on the river through the riverwalk area. It was really nice. The boat driver had a funny rap but also had some interesting history of San Antonio. These tours in cities are always a good way to see the city and learn something you would have missed on your own.

I have been noticing the "old" San Antonio architecture more than I have noticed the old part of other cities. Maybe it is because it has a southern look that is different from the northern cities I am more familiar with. One of the aspects of the older buildings are the overhangs along the first level that protect people on the sidewalk from the rain. I benefitted from that yesterday when I went out without an umbrella. The overhangs also reminded me of the streets of Guayaquil so I think they must serve as a way to keep the shop cooler. Maybe I am noticing this more because I am trying to link back to when I was here as a kid. In that way I can still get an impression of how it looked in the late 50's. There are plenty of places that still remain from that time. It probably helps because we are staying in a hotel that must have been one of the premier hotels in that time, the St. Anthony. The hotel is fine but Cely and I are looking for more of the modern amenities.

No comments: